Services for authors
I offer proofreading for authors, whether you’re looking to self-publish, iron out mistakes before sending to a prospective publisher or agent or simply make your work the best it can be. I have experience of working with independent authors on fiction (including short stories), poetry, local history/genealogy and autobiographies.
My proofreading service includes:
- Checking for spelling, grammar, punctuation and typographical errors
- Ensuring consistency of style (e.g. spellings and hyphenation)
- Ensuring consistency of content (e.g. names, dates)
- Checking references and citations
- Correcting confusing or inelegant word breaks
- Correcting ‘widows’ and ‘orphans’ (short last or first lines at the top or bottom of a paragraph, respectively)
- Ensuring illustrations, tables etc. are correctly captioned and correspond with the text
- Checking page numbers, page headings, table of contents.
Ideally your work will have been copy-edited before reaching the proofreading stage. Information on the differences between copy-editing and proofreading is available on the SfEP’s website.
If you’re unsure about the level of editorial support you need, please contact me.